Kidnapping of Hon. Soumaila Cissé, Leader of the Political Opposition in Mali
Since March 2020, Honourable Soumaila Cissé is being held hostage by an armed group, following a targeted kidnapping operation in which one person was killed and many injured among members of his delegation.
- Whereas « the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of man » (Universal Declaration of Human Rights, UDHR- Preamble).
- Whereas the right to life is the first of the human rights, the one that conditions the enjoyment of all the others and having as an immediate corollary the right to physical and moral integrity (African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights, Art. 4).
- Recalling that everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person (UDHR, Art. 3).
- Recalling that no one may be arbitrarily arrested, detained or exiled (UDHR, Art. 9).
- Reaffirming their deep commitment to fundamental human rights and freedoms contained in national, regional and international legal instruments.
- Deploring the recurrence of attacks and kidnappings perpetrated by extremist armed groups in Mali and in the Sahel, making the security situation more worrisome and alarming than ever before.
- Firmly convinced that the protection of fundamental rights and freedoms is a guarantee for stability and peace which are prerequisites for the construction and prosperity of any nation.
ALN and FNF vigorously condemn in the strongest possible terms this illegal brutal and inappropriate act on Honourable Soumaila Cissé, an iconic figure of Mali and Africa.
ALN and FNF offer their deepest sympathies to the family of the deceased and wish a speedy recovery to the injured victims of physical aggression.
In this painful circumstance, ALN and FNF show their active solidarity with his political family, URD.
Our thoughts are with his wife and his family to whom we express our deep and sincere compassion and solidarity.
ALN and FNF call for the immediate and unconditional release of Honourable Soumaila Cissé without delay.
ALN and FNF thank the Malian Government and MINUSMA to whom they express their deep gratitude and appreciation for their commitment and efforts to secure the release of Honourable Soumaila Cissé.
ALN and FNF make a solemn appeal to the Malian Government, especially to President Ibrahim Boubacar KEITA, to the international community and to all peace-and-justice-loving Africans, for greater involvement, with a view to a successful outcome.
Joint Statement of the Africa Liberal Network and the Friedrich Naumann Foundation for Freedom
On behalf of ALN On behalf of FNF
Signature affixed Signature affixed
Me Gilbert Noël Ouédraogo Dr. Joachim Holden
Chairman Regional Director for West Africa